three meat + three cheese lasagna recipe
A decadent and rich lasagna recipe that is perfect for a dinner party or a cozy, meaty night in.
Oh heyyyyyy friends! Fully vaccinated Annie here (Pfizer, what-what!!) celebrating with an amazing lasagna recipe, if I do say so myself! The shots were easy peasy, though I did get a bit knocked out the day after my 2nd shot (tired + achy), but of course its worth it to protect myself and others.
Have you all been able to get yours yet? I know we’re lucky in the US right now with the availability of the vaccine, so I’m hopeful it becomes more widely available to everyone asap! And just in case you were wondering, no the vaccine does nothing to fix your pandemic bangs.
I decided to celebrate my newly vaccinated self with this insanely delish dish. Italian food is often my comfort food, my celebratory food, maybe even my ‘you only have one choice while on a desert island’ food. This recipe definitely suits any of these three scenarios.
This lasagna is totally ooey-gooey with cheese on cheese on cheese and a lovely slow-roasted sweet and robust tomato and meat sauce that is absolutely dreamy. The key really is the homemade ricotta. I know you’re sick of hearing me talk about how dang good it is – but seriously dudes – make it fresh! It’s so easy, I promise you will never buy store bought again. Homemade ricotta is so creamy and delicate and just like, floats in your mouth – is that a weird way to describe a cheese? Too late, it’s already typed. It just adds a wonderful creamy and slightly sweet addition to this dish.
Of course the three meats – veal, ground beef and pork do their fair share of adding plenty of yum to this recipe as well. This combination is a classic and adds such a deep depth of flavor and richness. It is indulgent, but you deserve it!
Your friend probably deserves it as well, so make two!
And yes, serve with a salad so that your arteries don’t implode. This is a stick to your ribs meal, for sure.
Alright, before I send you off to the recipe – yes, I use no-boil noodles. Though now Dave is becoming a pasta guru, so I might make him whip me up some lasagna sheets next time. I digress. I think the ready to bake noodles work and taste fab – so don’t be afraid to use ’em.
With that, on with the show!
3 Meat & 3 Cheese Lasagna
- 1/2 Lb Ground Veal
- 1/2 Lb Ground Beef
- 1/2 Lb Ground Pork
- 1 Yellow Onion, About 3/4 Cups
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 3 14.5 Oz Cans Stewed Tomatoes
- 1 28 Oz Can Tomato Sauce
- 1/4 Cup Italian Red Wine (+ another splash for good luck)
- 3 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 1 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1/3 Cup Fresh Chopped Parsley
- 1 Box No Boil Lasagna Noodles
- 16 Oz Shredded Mozzarella
- 1 Cup Fresh Ricotta
- 5 Oz Grated Parmesan
- First, put a large dutch oven over medium heat and add the veal, pork, ground beef and chopped onion. Cook until browned, about 12 minutes.
- Next drain the meat of grease and return to the dutch oven.
- Add the garlic and cook for one minute.
- Then add the stewed tomatoes, the tomato sauce, red wine, tomato paste, soy sauce, salt, and oregano to the pot. Bring this to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook for 1.5 hours. As it cooks, stir and break apart the stewed tomatoes. Taste and add additional seasoning as needed.
- Right before you are ready to layer the lasagna, add the fresh parsley to the tomato sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Ladle a few tablespoons of sauce into the bottom of a deep 9 x 13 pan to act as a little glue to hold the first layer of noodles.
- Start layering in the following order: noodles, a heaping tablespoon of ricotta over each noodle (spread out), a shake of parmesan, approximately 1/3 cup of mozzarella cheese, and then a hefty ladle of sauce covering the layer. Repeat until you run out of noodles or room!
- Top the Lasagna with a healthy amount of parmesan and mozzarella cheese.
- Pop this heavy boy into the oven and cook until the top is golden, approximately 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes, then slice and serve while hot!
2 thoughts on “three meat + three cheese lasagna recipe”
Good for you, getting all vaxxed! I am fully vaxxed as well. This lasagna sounds spectacular. Might need to try it and see how it compares to the Davis family lasagna recipe that’s been in my husband’s family for years.
Congrats on being fully vaxxed as well!! Feels great, doesn’t it!? Oooh do you have your fam recipe posted? I’ll have to try it! 😀