easy breakfast: eggs on toast with hummus + sprouts
A savory + spicy breakfast recipe that is sure to start your day with a kick.
I had always strayed from posting recipes that I didn’t feel were epic in some way, which now feels kind of silly. Some of the best noshes we have around these parts are simple and tasty ingredients paired up in a yummy way. That brings us to this little ditty I made from inspiration I got from our time in Puerto Rico. This breakfast recipe was inspired by our amazing stay at the Dreamcatcher Bed and Breakfast – a vegetarian only space. Yes, the meatloaf lady stayed there, ate there, and enjoyed every moment.
What makes this breakfast so fab (to me) is the generous amount of Boripique hot sauce I top it with. We brought back this delicious hot sauce from Puerto Rico, but you can get it on Amazon.
There are two kinds of Boripique hot sauce – a red and a green, each very tasty. The green is a bit more tangy, while the red has just a hint of sweetness – both wonderfully HOT.
Everyone thinks I’m nuts in that I don’t really like breakfast. I kind of have to force myself to eat it every morning, so when I land on something I like (like this here toast) I want to scream it from the mountain tops. The garlic bite of the hummus on the crispy toast with creamy + fluffy eggs, fresh sprouts and super spicy hot sauce, heck yeah dudes!
Girl, where are you getting those fresh sprouts from?
Well, I’m glad you asked! I discovered Hamama Micro Greens not too long ago and have absolutely loved having these freshly grown greens at the ready. There are a ton of different varieties to try and they are so easy to grow. We use them on sammies, eggs, salads, and more. They add a perfect little shot of flavor and crunch to any dish!
And no, this is not a sponsored post! I just love finding ways to grow my own food, even in the dead of winter. I highly recommend!
Hummus, Scrambled Egg + Hot Sauce Toast
- 1/2 Tbs Butter
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Milk or Cream
- 1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 Piece Whole Grain Toast I love Pepperidge Farm 15 Grain
- 2 Tbs Hummus I used Sabra Original
- Handful Sprouts / Microgreens of Your Choice
- Add the butter to a non-stick sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add the eggs, milk or cream, salt and pepper to a bowl and whisk together until well combined. Add to the pan with the butter.
- Place the toast in the toaster, then head back to the eggs.
- Cook the scrambled eggs by pulling the eggs from each side of the pan to the center with a large spoon or spatula every so often, just until cooked to your likeness. I like soft, fluffy eggs, so typically don't go beyond about 3 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the heat and set aside for just a moment.
- Spread the hummus onto the toast then top with the scrambled eggs, sprouts and hot sauce then serve!
3 thoughts on “easy breakfast: eggs on toast with hummus + sprouts”
Sounds like something I would like! 🌿
Thanks Gail! I think it works pretty nicely together! 🙂